This afternoon a friend asked me, "what do you do when you suspect someone is cheating on you, but you have no evidence." There are no screenshots, there is no lipstick on collars or unfamiliar scents, no hidden gifts, but just a feeling... some sort of shift, be it a silence that was not there before, or guilt-driven attention.
What is the correct attitude in such a situation? Do you ignore it and enjoy the moments are together? Do you investigate? Do you become "cool" and detached? Do you ask directly? Do you pretend not to notice because technically nothing has happened?
The hard part in this situation is that when there is suspicion without proof, it changes how you approach life. Your mind starts working like a small private intelligence agency, and you start noticing things like response times, tone changes, sudden busyness, ignored calls late at night or early in the morning, hushed conversations or declining calls in your presence. Your brain starts looking for meaning in every corner.
I think the healthiest attitude should not be to obsessed nor to live in denial. It is to observe and by this I do not becoming a detective, but also not becoming a relationship martyr either.
Why? Because there is a temptation to play the "overly calm" card telling yourself, "let me just enjoy the moments we are together." But if inside you are slowly becoming anxious, emotionally tired, exhaustipated, then that is not peace, but some sort of self-abandonment, so to speak. At the same time, constantly searching for evidence can also destroy you. Once you start decoding WhatsApp blue ticks it can become a downward spiral.
For me, a response could be to stay grounded. To separate what you feel, what you fear, and what you actually know. This could mean watching patterns instead of isolated incidents, and speaking honestly before resentment grows and hardens into something worse.
I have learnt that just as peace is not the absence of war, trust is not the absence of fear. Trust is a decision and sometimes it is a difficult one. The moment you become suspicious in a relationship, your instinct is to protect yourself emotionally. You usually do this by reducing your investment in the relationship and becoming "half-present" so that if pain comes, it finds less of you there. But I do not think that is love. We can call it emotional evacuation before the fire has even started.
And yes, I agree, trust is risky. I mean people disappoint each other every day in Kampala, Kigali, Nairobi, everywhere, but I also think there is also something lonely about approaching every relationship like a crime waiting to happen.
So I guess the healthier thing would be to trust fully enough to remain soft, while also remaining honest with yourself about what you are experiencing. And if that trust is broken, then grieve and learn from it, but if the fear was wrong, then trust itself becomes the reward. There is that trust that brings the peace that comes from being able to love somebody without constantly standing guard at the gate of your own heart.
My friend, ask yourself, even if there is no cheating, does this relationship still give me peace?
Sometimes the issue is not infidelity itself but it is things like inconsistency, distance, poor communication, feeling half-loved, feeling like somebody’s option instead of their choice, etc.
I do not think the goal should be to catch people. I think the goal should be to remain emotionally intact while the truth is revealed. People leak, so the truth usually reveals itself eventually. Our patterns repeat and our energy shifts. What is hidden rarely stays hidden forever. The challenge is making sure you do not lose yourself while waiting for clarity.
And yes, from where my feet are, I am asking for a friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment