Thursday, February 26, 2026

Two wrongs can sometimes make a right

I was listening to "Two Wrongs" by Wyclef Jean, and that familiar line "two wrongs don’t make it right" caught my attention.

I have heard that phrase so many times without really thinking about it. That phrase has always made sense.

Two wrongs don’t make a right.

But as the song played, I found myself wondering… is life really that neat and mathematical? This is because from where my feet are, it doesn’t always look that simple.

O.K. hear me out. No one is perfect, right? Think about when an imperfect person meets another imperfect person and  neither of them has fully figured themselves out. One struggles with insecurity, while the other struggles with avoidance. One overthinks, while the other shuts down. They both bring their imperfect unfinished selves into the relationship.

Technically, that’s two "wrongs," isn’t it? Two incomplete beings trying to build something whole.

I remember sitting across from someone I cared about very much, both of us defensive, both of us trying so hard not to say the wrong thing, and realising neither of us actually knew how to be fully ourselves without fear. We weren’t bad people. We weren’t trying to hurt each other. We were just… unfinished.

And yet, sometimes, it works. It will work not because people suddenly become emotionally mature and near perfect overnight, nor because they fix their every flaw. It will work because somewhere between the awkward conversations and the misunderstandings, they choose honesty. They admit, "I don’t always handle this well." They say, "I am still learning." They stop pretending they are the finished product. They extend grace to each other. Honesty makes the difference and honesty can actually be more right than perfection ever was. 

Let's also think about this in terms of failure. The first time you fail in a relationship, in a decision, in a boundary you didn’t hold, it feels like bad luck. You can blame timing, circumstances, the other person, etc.

The second time you fail at the same thing, it feels different. It feels like a mirror.

I have had moments where I thought I was just unlucky. And then the same situation showed up again, different face, but the same pattern. That was when it stopped being coincidence and started being a moment to learn.

Failure plus failure does not automatically equal defeat. It could equal awareness. The first wrong hurts. The second wrong is a revelation, and if you are willing to look at what it reveals, that is where we start to grow and become wiser.

How about with miscommunication, which might be the most common "wrong" of all. For me at least.

You say something and it lands badly. They interpret it through their own fears. You react to their reaction. Now you’re both defending yourselves from something that was not fully explained. Two misunderstandings!

I have walked away from conversations convinced I was right, only to replay them later and realise we were speaking two completely different emotional languages. I was arguing about tone. They were reacting from a wound. I was defending my intention. They were protecting their fear.

That sort of collision in relationships forces the real conversation  of the issues that lie beneath the surface. "When you said that, I felt small." "When you went quiet, I felt abandoned." Suddenly you are no longer debating words, but you are talking about history, insecurity and longing. Two wrong interpretations can lead to one honest clarification.

Please, I am not romanticising dysfunction. No. Some dynamics are unhealthy and should,  by all means, end. There are patterns that should be broken and the pieces thrown away. Staying in harm is unhealthy and unwise.

But what I am saying is that sometimes what we label as "wrong" is simply immaturity meeting immaturity and growth comes in as a result of facing issues. I think two wrongs stay wrong when there is pride. When we become humble, the wrongs start shifting.

I do not think that this phrase was meant to be mathematical. I see it as caution against revenge, or a warning to us against retaliation. But it was definitely not stopping us from trying again. 

From where my feet are, life has not been and can not be a neat equation. It has been trial and error. Falling and getting up. Conversations I wish I had handled better. Lessons I only understood the second time around. And sometimes, not always, but sometimes, two flawed attempts have produced something steadier and more solid than the first “perfect” try ever could.

Right does not come from never being wrong.  It comes from what we do after the second mistake.

6 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful reflection. The idea that imperfection leads to growth is a powerful statement. I especially love your conclusion: “Right does not come from never being wrong. It comes from what we do after the second mistake.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. We must accept it. We don't have it all under control do we, no we don't. Often times we leave empathy out of all our engagements we hold others, our partners to high standards that we ourselves can't leave up to. We desire good yet we can't be that good in some one else's life. Don't we deserve better than we are? Don't we deserve to always be right or treated right? We desire perfection, but is there anything that is perfect? I think time allows us to humbly accept our differences so that rather than criticise each other, we compliment each other's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In life, just like in mathematics, it depends on what operator is put between the negatives. If the parties come to the table with a willingness to DIVIDE or SUBTRACT, it will be a lovely, positive outcome. On the other hand, parties taking up battle stations with hardened positions can only ADD to the negativity

    ReplyDelete
  4. I became a 'Votary of Truth' after two rough relationships with bearing. The third I am tottering with delicately with touches tenderer in every aspect.

    Truth in 'quotes' because there's quite too many slips betwixt loyalties, to the relationship, and to the person involved.

    It's a catch-22.

    You, I ,and everyone gets beaten by this in life. Refer to Rocky Balboa!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Wow. Wow. Everything here is so true and the fact that this is where my feet currently are…๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ˜…

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’ve learned that in life, pride keeps score — but humility repairs.
    There are moments I wish I had handled better. Times when two wrongs only widened the gap. But growth begins when ego steps aside and understanding takes the lead.
    And just like my Mama says; "Right doesn’t come from never being wrong.
    It comes from what we choose to do after we are."

    ReplyDelete

How to run an ultramarathon: Wrong answers only.

Tomorrow, I am running 50 kilometres. Naturally, I have prepared. Here is everything I have learned about successfully completing a 50K ultr...