Wednesday, February 25, 2026

An afternoon nap fiasco. I attended a meeting in my sleep.

The strangest thing happened to me today.

I woke up early, took my walk, came back feeling good and ahead of the world, ready for a rather packed day. The morning was full meetings, things checked off lists, etc. By lunchtime, I felt accomplished, productive and on top of things.

There was a one-hour gap between meetings. An hour seemed like good enough time to rest. I had earned it. I told myself I would take a short nap of just 20 minutes to refresh for the next meeting. So I lay down, closed my eyes and slept.

What happened next is both embarrassing and fascinating. 

I slept through the meeting. I was not "almost late." and not "joined halfway - late." I slept through the entire meeting. 

But here is the strange part: I attended the meeting in my dream.

It felt like I was there. I was so vivid. We were going through the agenda and discussions. Someone raised a concern and I responded comprehensively. I even used phrases like, "to build on that…" and "I think we need to consider the broader picture." I contributed to the discussions. I had counterpoints. I built arguments. I nodded at the right moments. I remember thinking, that’s a good point, and then adding to it. The conversation flowed exactly the way I knew it would, and it was quite productive. If someone had asked me for the minutes of the meeting right there in my dream, I would have delivered them.

At some point, the meeting began to wrap up.  "Alright, I think that’s a good place to end." And at that exact moment, at the exact time the real meeting would have ended, I woke up. 

I was quite satisfied with the meeting outcome. I even wiped a small line of drool from the corner of my mouth. I stretched. I blinked slowly. I felt refreshed. My brain was convinced: Well done. Great participation.

Then I reached for my phone.

Missed call from my colleague. Messages in the group: "Thanks everyone." "Good discussion." "Let’s follow up on that action point." "Let me check in with Peace to see if she's ok."

What???

Check in with Peace? Why?? "She never fails to show up, and if she isn't attending, she always informs us."

Are you telling me none of this happened?

I was THERE. I spoke. I contributed. I used phrases like "to build on that." I had counterpoints. I built arguments. And now you’re telling me I was not physically present on this earth during that time?

The realisation came slowly. OMG! I had dreamt the entire meeting. OMG! Nooooooooooooo

But the funniest part is, I know exactly what they discussed. Because it’s exactly what we were supposed to discuss. My brain had prepared, and it delivered. Without me.

It is both impressive and embarassing.

I lay back down and started laughing. I really laughed out loud because how do you explain this? "Hi, sorry I missed the meeting. I attended it spiritually." Anyway, I called my colleagues and told them the truth. I slept and I dreamt the meeting. Thankfully, they laughed.

It is then that I realised that your body will shut down when it needs to, regardless of your carefully arranged calendar. I had started the day early, filled every hour and was quite efficient and productive. And then believed I could squeeze in "just a short nap".

The body said otherwise. The mind, however, refused to let the meeting go. Apparently, even in REM sleep, I am committed to my work.

An afternoon nap gone wrong turned into an afternoon reminder that rest is not something you can compromise on for too long. Sleep eventually catches up and if you are tired, you are tired. And sometimes, if you push too hard, your subconscious will log into the meeting without you. Ask me. 

Next time, I will set alarms. Plural. Because I refuse to attend another meeting in the astral plane.

4 comments:

  1. Okay. Am laughing my lungs out. Indeed nature takes its course and with out knowing you simply tag along. Can you imagine you were deeply involved in vital resolutions and action points. What is good here is that you have built a reputation that proceeds you. Am sure there are likely people in that meeting that could stand with you to death against any supposition that you missed the meeting intentionally. It rather was by nature's design ryt. Cheers to a nap you wont forget soon. The mind and nature are such a phenomenon aren't they? 😹😹😹

    ReplyDelete
  2. People are concerned about Ai replacing them at the workplace, but I think you have a bigger problem on your hands - you replaced you! I'm still laughing

    ReplyDelete
  3. laughing laughing laughing !!!!!
    Attending a meeting remotely from the spiritual realm when the body was on leave.
    You need multiple alarms

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can your ordeal be likened to Muscle Memory! Better still, you've proven that you can actually do your Job in your sleep. Asking as a Fala, where you recorded on the attendance list as well?

    ReplyDelete

How to run an ultramarathon: Wrong answers only.

Tomorrow, I am running 50 kilometres. Naturally, I have prepared. Here is everything I have learned about successfully completing a 50K ultr...