Wednesday, February 11, 2026

These shoes no longer fit

 On my walk this evening, I came across a group of children heading home from school. They were loud, laughing at something clearly amusing, and they had what I can call that "end-of-day" energy that belongs only to children. Except one. 

One boy lagged behind, though clearly part of the group and fun. He walked strangely. A little stiff, uneven even, trying to keep up with the rest. Every few steps he slowed down, then hurried again, not wanting to be left behind. It did not take long to notice why. His shoes were too small. 

They were undersized, visibly tight and the socks he wore kinda made it worse. These were shoes he had clearly outgrown but was still expected to walk in. 

I do not know his story, but I can guess. Maybe his parents couldn't afford new shoes. Maybe these were hand-me-downs. Maybe they were the best option available. What I know is that he did not choose them and yet he just had to wear them. He had to walk to and from school in pain, discomfort, trying to keep pace with what was not slowing down for him. 

And this stayed with me. 

Why? Because life is often like that. We outgrow things. Sometimes we outgrow them long before we are able to let them go. 

We outgrow relationships, jobs, friendships, versions of ourselves, places that once felt like home, activities that once gave us joy. Certainly this is not because they became bad, but because we changed. We learnt, we softened or hardened in different places, we grew. The experiences and people didn't change. We did. 

But instead of changing shoes, we start limping. We tell ourselves, "it is still new," "it should work," "others seem fine in it," "I have already invested so much." So we squeeze ourselves in and adjust our walk. We normalise the discomfort. We even convince ourselves that the pain is part of the journey.

The question is: do we recognise the tightness? 

Do we recognise that something that once fit now restricts us? Do we notice when our steps feel heavier and slower? Do we realise when keeping up requires more effort than it should? Or do we keep walking funny hoping no one will notice?

And if we should notice, are we brave enough to let the shoes go even when they are new, expensive or believed they would take us somewhere?

Sometimes the hardest shoes to remove are the ones we chose willingly. 

The boy had no choice. He walked in those shoes because he had to. And many of us know this all too well where we stay in things that hurt us because leaving is not yet an option. Because food must be put on the table. Because there is no alternative right now. Because I have tried many times before. Because I like the idea of this.

But life is not meant to be lived forever in shoes we have outgrown or that do not fit. I don't think so. At some point, continuing to limp becomes a conscious decision to choose familiar pain and discomfort over the opposite. 

Growth is sometimes realising that this no longer fits me or did not fit in the first place, and honouring it without shame. 

From where my feet are, I have learnt that walking should not always hurt. And if it does, maybe it is not your strength that is lacking, but maybe it is just time for a different pair of shoes. 

9 comments:

  1. This is such a powerful reflection, your image of outgrown shoes beautifully captures the quiet ways we endure discomfort for long.
    It gently challenges us to choose courage over familiarity.
    It also teaches us take innovative decision quickly to avoid the discomfort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The innovation bit you mention is quite interesting because sometimes growth isn’t about throwing the shoes away immediately. It could be about asking, can I loosen the laces? Can I save differently? Can I speak up? Innovation, in this sense, is personal. It is about refusing to believe that “this is just how it is.” and allowing yourself to imagine a different fit. Thank you for this.

      Delete
    2. Another thought on this is that innovation requires courage to execute. You can see a better option, but you still have to be brave enough to take it.

      Delete
  2. This is so powerfully reflective, and so true whichever way you slice it. But what if the school requires, demands even, that the boy wears shoes? What choice does he have then but to stay in those shoes. Maybe the ill fitting shoes are protecting him from the perils of walking barefoot. Maybe he has proper fitting shoes that he only keeps for special occasions, and that these ones, these uncomfortable ones, must be worn for the daily grind. Maybe his parents can afford new shoes but he doesn't want to tell them about this pair because he thinks they've already sacrificed too much to keep him in school. And maybe, and its not always a far shot, he's chosen those uncomfortable shoes to draw sympathy. I'm thinking of my shoes as I write this, and wondering why I have all those pairs: some ill fitting, some sentimental, some I haven't worn in ages and are just taking up space. About time I sorted out my shoe problem - both literal and metaphorical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right in that sometimes shoes are not optional, sometimes they are required, other times they are protection or sacrifice or strategy. Also, not every ill-fitting shoe can be removed immediately. Some protect us from worse harm. Some are worn out of duty, some out of love or even pride. And yes, sometimes even out of performance. The boy may not have a choice, and many of us don't, at least not yet. I guess it starts with recognising the discomfort. Personally, I am currently in a situation where I need to be honest with myself about why I am still wearing certain shoes. Thank your for adding this to the conversation. This is why I like writing because it keeps unfolding and there are so many ways things can be interpreted.

      Delete
  3. It is indeed astounding how imaginative the human mind can get. How such an often ignored sighting can trigger a very spirited observation. While reading through this article, one is made to reflect really if indeed the " shoes" still fit. Unlike the child, many of us do have choice. To find a shoe that fits. That brings joy and helps one go about the day with the much needed Tenacity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John Mary. Let's hope that the child understands that one day, when he can, he deserves better fitting shoes.

      Delete
  4. Not only that he understands but that he is able to find the fitting shoes. Tht he is not bound in pain. That he gets to live and not just exist. That if he cannot do it on his own. Then receive salvation in that regard.
    Dearest writer, may these writings impact the world. All Glory to God.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the fact that you chose not to judge or question why the boy is still trying to "fit" into the shoes. That young lad knows best and decides to vumilia! And so that is life; we all try to hold onto things that we know we are told to let go of – but we only know (many a time don't know) why we still are. Could it be the memories created, fear of the unknown (better the devil you know), or how will the "world" see me/react? One thing I know: when the time is right and probably the "why hold on despite..." is answered, the unholding happens. Thanks for a very reflective piece, Peace.

    ReplyDelete

How to run an ultramarathon: Wrong answers only.

Tomorrow, I am running 50 kilometres. Naturally, I have prepared. Here is everything I have learned about successfully completing a 50K ultr...