Monday, February 9, 2026

Falling in love is like buying food on an empty stomach

 I have learnt something important about myself: I should never go to the market hungry. And apparently, I should also never fall in love unsupervised. 

This is because falling in love, I have discovered, is exactly like buying food on an empty stomach. You go to the market with good intentions, a list even. You tell yourself, I am just looking. You promise you won't overdo it. You swear you are a grown woman with sense. 

Then your stomach growls, and suddenly wisdom goes out of the window. 

Everything starts looking good. Things you have never eaten before start looking appetising. You begin looking closely at foods you don't even know how to cook. The real madness begins when even the food you hate starts looking attractive. Food you would avoid on normal days or that has disappointed you looks good. You stop asking questions like: do I really need this? and start asking dangerous ones like how much does this cost

That is how love enters your life. While you are hungry. 

They say hunger makes even bitter food taste sweet. I did not understand this proverb properly until recently. When you are full, you are selective. You pass by things confidently. You even judge. But when you are hungry, emotionally, spiritually, romantically, you start romanticising onions. You convince yourself you will figure it out at home. 

These days, I find myself thinking about someone the way a hungry person thinks about food. Casually at first, then frequently. I catch myself smiling at my phone. I read and reread my messages. 

Phone calls stretch. One minute becomes thirty. Thirty becomes "let me just finish my story." It is like standing at a stall, not buying, but trying to convince your heart. Asking questions you don't even need answers to, just so you can stay there a little longer.

And just like the market, love has its characters.

There are the loud things calling to you. The flashy flashy things insisting they are fresh. There are the quiet things sitting humbly saying nothing. And there are the red flags. But hunger has no eyes. The stomach has no ears. It does not listen to warnings shouted from the head. 

You tell yourself, at least it is cheap. Other people eat this. I have survived worse. 

This is how love humbles you. Because when you are falling in love, logic takes a back seat. You start doing calculations. You analyse tone. Analyse silence. You start waiting the way someone waits for food they ordered while very hungry. 

They say you don't buy food with someone else's stomach, but love makes you forget whose hunger this is. You start explaining, defending, justifying. Meanwhile your heart is already carrying shopping bags. 

And yet, I am not angry at myself because hunger also means you are alive. It means your heart has not closed shop. The problem is not that you went to the market hungry. The problem is pretending hunger does not influence decisions. 

An elder once said patience can cook even a stone. But there is another truth - hunger can convince you the stone is meat. So here I am, a little amused and slightly softer than I planned to be. Falling in love the way one wanders into a stall they had no intention of shopping at.

Maybe love, like food, is not about never going hungry, but about learning when to pause, when to taste and even when to walk away before you reach home and stare at your purchases, wondering what possessed you. 

From where my feet are, this is where I am standing. 

5 comments:

  1. I love the analogy and logical flow. This feels like a tender confession wrapped in wisdom, reminding us that self-awareness does not stop feeling, it simply helps us hold it gently before it takes over.... even when you have a shopping list, you go against it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this. I really like your idea that awareness isn't control. Very nicely put. And yes, even with a shopping list, hunger is loud.

      Delete
  2. This is so beautifully written and makes more sense every time I read it. In my experience, there's three types of hunger. The one where your stomach is genuinely empty. The type where you think you're hungry but actually aren't and the nasty one where you get hungry because you saw other people eating. All three require discernment because they are all satiated differently (and sometimes should never at all). I think just because one is hungry, doesn't mean one should fall headlong into the buffet. That hunger pang could just be a reminder that you're alive or that you have something better at home or that you're genuinely hungry and need to try out that steak or roasted maize. But you need discernment. Love, like eating, is not for falling in. Its for knowing, for choosing, for relishing or else you'll end up, like I did yesterday, with a tandoori chicken that I didn't need in the first place. I'm off to read again. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tandoori chicken confession finished me. That is exactly how it happens. In that moment it was "hunger" and later it becomes regret. But I do like how you have broken down the different kinds of hunger, especially the one where you think you are hungry because you have seen others eating. So real!! Thank you for reading, and reading again.

      Delete
  3. Interesting, the correlation of love and hunger!

    The line “hunger can convince you the stone is meat” got me thinking — it speaks to how self-awareness is the only real protection.

    But that aside, are you still thinking od that person?

    ReplyDelete

How to run an ultramarathon: Wrong answers only.

Tomorrow, I am running 50 kilometres. Naturally, I have prepared. Here is everything I have learned about successfully completing a 50K ultr...