Thursday, July 23, 2026

When your mother appears on the ballot

I used to ask myself what it is actually like when your parent runs for office?

My mother is running for LC1 Women's Representative. I know, the stakes are not as dramatic as MP, Mayor, etc, but for me this is as close to politics as I have ever been. For years, I have looked at the children of politicians and wondered what election season feels like inside their homes. Do they eventually stop saying "Mummy" and start saying "Honourable"? Do family dinners become campaign strategy meetings?

Well... I finally have my own tiny version of that experience.

So, the thing is that my mother several different people at once. At home, she's still Mum. To her patients, she will always be Musawo, Doctor. To neighbours, she is suddenly "our candidate." To campaign volunteers, she's "Madam." To the Electoral Commission, she's Candidate Number Whatever. And to me...

I'm honestly not sure who I'm voting for.

Am I voting for the woman who spent years reminding me to clean my room, wash my clothes, and brush my teeth at night? Or the doctor who has spent 40 plus years caring for people in our community? Or the smiling candidate on campaign posters who looks like she's about ready to solve the Women's economic development issues?

They are all the same person, and this election season is giving everyone a different version of her.

I have also realised that voting for your own mother raises complicated questions. Do I still evaluate the candidates objectively? Am I allowed to be biased? Is supporting your mother considered nepotism, conflict of interest, or is it being a child? Am I over thinking things or is this a very important ethical dilemma?

Today, the election day, and the situation becomes even more interesting. Where as for most elections, your vote is a secret ballot paper, with LC1 elections you line up behind the candidate you support.

Now this raises another question... What happens if I accidentally join the "wrong line?"

Does my mother pretend she hasn't seen me? Do I become that child who abandoned their own mother in broad daylight? Can I explain that I was just looking for shade? More importantly... will I still be allowed home for dinner?

The good news is that democracy gives everyone the freedom to choose. The weird part is that, in this particular election, your mother can literally watch you exercise that freedom. That is democracy.

To the public, candidates are names, posters and campaign promises. To me, my siblings, relatives, the candidate is Mummy. For the first time in my life, those two people happen to be exactly the same person.

From where my feet are, let me stand behind my candidate of choice. 

4 comments:

  1. My university roommate stood for the glamorous position of Interior Secretary. Elections back then were through the same unglamorous line-behind-your-preferred-candidate route. I chose the best candidate for the role (he didn't disappoint, democracy won), but I spent the rest of the year being eyed suspiciously by my roommate...

    My recommendation? Cast all cares aside and line up behind Candidate Mummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing...mummy won! I hope you lined up begind her though Peana....these freedom things hmmm. I vote loyalty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come to look at it this way. She would be the Chair womanii and you her advisor.
    Plus you don't want to be given that cold look at each family dinner, do you?
    As an advisor, you can always keep her in check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I confidently stood for Information Prefect in S3, fully convinced my deskmate's vote was already secured. 😌
    Then I watched them confidently vote... for my opponent. πŸ’€πŸ˜‚
    The betrayal was so fresh I almost wanted a recount of that one ballot alone. 😭
    I still went on to win the election anywayπŸ†
    That experience taught me something I'll never forget: if you're genuinely good and competent, you'll eventually win. And if you're not, even if your family and friends vote for you, they can only do so much you still won't hold the position.
    Turns out, one missing vote wasn't my biggest problem... and one extra vote wasn't my opponent's biggest advantage.

    ReplyDelete

How to run an ultramarathon: Wrong answers only.

Tomorrow, I am running 50 kilometres. Naturally, I have prepared. Here is everything I have learned about successfully completing a 50K ultr...