So, I went to a government office the other day needing a service.
It was one of those errands that require you to carry an A4 brown envelope or a plastic folder of documents, photocopies, passport photos, and certainly questions about about if this can be escaped, even when you know fully well it cannot. In our part of the world, you do not go to a government office armed only with papers. You also carry expectation management because anything could happen.
Experience has taught many of us that there are usually two queues. The official queue, which moves according to the laws of bureaucracy, and the unofficial one, which moves according to eye contact, whispers, and folded notes that disappear into handshakes.
So before I even arrived, I had already begun the usual internal meeting with myself...
Should I prepare kitu kidogo something small?
No, not a bribe, of course. Nobody ever calls it that in the planning stage. It is usually called something more agreeable. Transport. Tea. Water. Facilitation. Lunch. Really it is just so things move. And we know that the language around these things is always very polite, as if to protect ones conscience and morality.
I had almost agreed with myself that perhaps carrying something small was simply understanding how systems work. A practical person must survive the practical world.
But as luck arranged it, I reached there with no extra cash in my pocket, except the Ugx 5000 for my taxi back home. So the decision was made for me.
I entered empty-handed, and prepared mentally for delay.
But then something unusual happened.
I was welcomed kindly. Someone at the gate directed me clearly. Inside, another person explained where to go next without irritation. At the next desk, my papers were examined carefully. Questions were asked and answered with patience. One officer even left their chair to show me which office I needed next.
I kept waiting for the difficult part. The hidden resistance or the sigh, or the long pause that usually means you are expected to understand something without it being said.
But none came. Instead, each person I met was helpful in a way that almost made me suspicious.
At one point I even wondered whether I had accidentally entered a private office by mistake and would later discover I was in the wrong building. But no, this was the correct office. Correct gate, correct stamp, correct forms, and somehow, also correct human beings.
By the time everything was done, I had received the service I came for, and received it well.
Then, as I reached into my pocket again, I found money. Good for you Peace. But another internal meeting began.
Now what? Should I give it?
If I had given this before, it would have been bribing.
But now?
Now the service was already complete. The forms were signed and the process had moved. Nobody had delayed me, hinted or negotiated.
So if money leaves my hand now, what exactly is it becoming?
A bribe cannot influence what has already happened.
Can gratitude be folded in a note? Can appreciation wear the same clothes as bribery but mean something different? How does a system know the difference?
That is where the matter becomes complicated. The same note passed before service says, Please help me. The same note passed after service says, Thank you for helping me.
It is the same currency being given by the same hand at a different timing, and as such a different moral tone. One is trying to bend the system. The other is trying to acknowledge the human being who behaved well inside a system that often teaches people not to bother.
This is perhaps why I dwelt on this moment, because when good service feels surprising, it says something different and uncomfortable about what we have come to expect. It means patience has become unusual enough to deserve reward. Courtesy has become memorable enough to provoke gratitude.
A person simply doing their job well now feels like someone has gone beyond duty, and that in and of itself is worth reflecting on.
In the end, I gave the money, not because I needed anything more, nor because another door remained closed. I gave it because they had been kind, patient, and decent through the whole process.
As I walked away, I kept asking myself whether I had appreciated good service or participated in the same bribery culture under a different title.
Sometimes systems do not only confuse procedure, but also confuse language. This is probably why in many offices, the line between bribery and appreciation is not drawn by money, but by the silence in which it is given.
From where my feet are, timing appeared to carry moral weight in my eyes. A note before service changes behaviour. A note after service changes interpretation. Somewhere between the two sits the ordinary citizen, holding gratitude in one hand and ethical uncertainty in the other.
What about the "office" policy in this particular case; should this be declared? The other question would be, who gets the appreciation from the first kind man with warm welcoming to the service render ?
ReplyDelete