Sunday, March 1, 2026

It is March. So let's march.

This morning I went for my usual walk thinking about the general busyness of life. Then I remembered the date. It’s March. Without planning to, I found myself changing the way I was stepping. My back straightened slightly. My pace became firmer. I wasn’t just moving anymore, I felt like I was going somewhere. I was marching. 

There is something about the word March that feels different from walk. In walking, one can wander. Marching feels intentional with direction and rhythm. It is deliberate. As I walked, or rather, marched, I thought about how easily the first two months of the year can pass in activity. January is full of promises and resolutions. February still carries some momentum. But March? March asks, "so how is it going?"

This is the last month of the first quarter. A full quarter of the year is about to close. That alone is worth pausing over. The goals we set in January, are we moving toward them, or have we subtly adjusted our lives around something easier instead? Are we still committed to what we said mattered, or have we allowed urgency to replace importance? Sometimes we don’t abandon our goals abruptly, but we simply drift. We stay busy. We attend meetings, respond to emails, show up. But are we marching toward anything intentional?

March for me feels like an invitation to review. And I do not mean harsh self-criticism, but an honest reflection. What needs adjustment? What needs recommitment? What needs to be released? In Uganda, the year often picks up speed quickly as work intensifies, projects demand attention, etc. Life does not slow down for reflection. But perhaps this is the month to change the way we step, even if nothing else changes immediately.

If you notice, marching is not about speed but about consistency. It is about showing up again tomorrow and placing one foot in front of the other in the same direction. It is about discipline more than inspiration. Some days you will feel motivated. Most days you will not. But cadence carries you further than emotion ever will.

So maybe this month is not about setting new goals, but about firming up the ones you already have. Maybe it is about choosing not to drift. Let us decide that even if progress feels small, we will keep stepping forward.

It is March. Let’s not stroll through it. Let's march.

2 comments:

  1. Not only stepping up, but showing up too! So, tell kuzikiiza

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found myself murmuring the "We Are Marching...", where's my hymnal?!

    ReplyDelete

How to run an ultramarathon: Wrong answers only.

Tomorrow, I am running 50 kilometres. Naturally, I have prepared. Here is everything I have learned about successfully completing a 50K ultr...