Sunday, February 8, 2026

Words in English that do not make sense (so I fixed them)

English is that language that looks you straight in the eye, lies confidently, and then asks you to live the lie. Words sound clear but then you find that in real life they are not exactly what they mean. You only learn about their true meanings through disappointment or other experiences. 

Here are a few English words that have always bothered me, what they officially mean, and what I think they actually mean in real life. 

  • Almost
Official meaning: Very nearly
What it really means: Emotional damage. Pain dressed nicely. 
"Almost got the job." "Almost arrived home on time."
Almost is not a measurement. It is a heartbreak delivery system. Regret. It exists solely to remind you that effort and outcome are not friends.

  • Soon
Official meaning: In a short time
My definition: Not today. Possibly not this year. And please do not ask again.
Soon is a word people use when they want to sound hopeful without committing to anything. Soon has no deadline. It just lies.
If someone says "I will call you soon," please proceed with your life. 

  • Fine
Official meaning: Satisfactory
Actual meaning: Do not ask me any follow-up questions
I am fine is never about wellness. It means I am holding things together with social manners and would like to continue doing so without further questions.

  • Free
Official meaning: Without cost
Reality: You will pay emotionally, socially or with your time. 
Free advise will cost you peace. Nothing is free. It is just billed later. 

  • Busy
Official meaning: Having a lot to do
Translation: I cannot engage with this right now.
Busy is rarely about time. Busy is about energy, interest and self-preservation. People are rarely busy. They are prioritising something else and being polite about it. 

  • Later
Official meaning: After now
My definition: A soft no
Later is the cousin of soon. They live together and avoid responsibility together. They are never home when accountability comes knocking. They mean well but never show up.

  • Tomorrow
Official meaning: The day after today.
Lived meaning:  A place where unfinished things go.
 Tomorrow is not a place you arrive. A concept or promise or horizon. It keeps moving as you walk toward it. (read this blog post). 

  • Interesting
Official meaning: arousing curiosity
My meaning: I do not want to say what I actually think.
Interesting is safe for when you want to be polite and vague.

  • Actually
Official meaning: In fact
My meaning: Let me correct you slowly.

Now the Ugandan English section, because we deserve our own dictionary
Some words make even less sense when you live in Uganda

  • I'm coming
Official meaning: I am on my way
Ugandan meaning: I acknowledge your existence
No movement implied.

  • Let me see
Official meaning: I will consider it
Actual meaning: This conversation is ending gently

  • We shall see
Meaning: Emotional disengagement in progress

  • Just now
Official meaning: Immediately
Ugandan meaning: At an unspecified point between now and the future

  • One day
Official: some uncertain future day
Ugandan meaning: I am hopeful but not planning.

  • Okay
Official: Agreement
Ugandan meaning: I have heard you but we shall interpret this later.


Language is less about clarity and more about survival. We soften the truth and delay answers. We create space between what we feel and what we can say out loud. 
From where my feet are, words aren't meant to be perfect. They are meant to get us through conversations, expectations and each other, sometimes honestly, sometimes gently, and sometimes with just enough confusion to keep the peace. 


4 comments:

  1. Hahaha. I think its we Ugandans who have given ourselves license to localise the English language, and in the process cause our brains to overheat when talking to non-Ugandan English speakers (made worse when having a conversation with a Ugandan and non-Ugandan). I totally agree with your meaning of "interesting", but you know what I mean when I say "we shall see"😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We shall see
      Official meaning: We will observe what happens
      Your meaning: The matter is settled. It is a big fat yes but I am not ready to say aloud.

      Delete
  2. In my primary school, "See me" referred to a minimum of 5 strokes of the cane!

    ReplyDelete

How to run an ultramarathon: Wrong answers only.

Tomorrow, I am running 50 kilometres. Naturally, I have prepared. Here is everything I have learned about successfully completing a 50K ultr...