Wednesday, February 18, 2026

The best pickup line I have ever heard

This morning, as I was walking, I had to jump over puddles of water left from last night’s rain. You know those large ones on our pothole riddled roads. So I was doing that careful calculation with every step where you  lift the pants slightly, lean forward and jump. 

This reminded me of something that happened about ten years ago.

The best pickup line I have ever received.

It was also a rainy morning. I was walking to work, doing exactly what I was doing today, really trying not to dirty myself on a muddy road. Above me was a building under construction with the usual noise of metal clanking, men talking loudly, someone laughing so hard at something that probably wasn’t that funny.

As I jumped over a puddle, a voice from up on the scaffolding shouted in Luganda:

Tofayo Bebi, ne bw’ogwa mu mazzi, nja kulongosa

“Don’t worry, baby! Even if you fall in the puddle of water, I will clean you up.”

I stopped.

Looked up.

There he was up there confident, amused, and very serious about what he had just said.

And I laughed.

It was bold, smooth and poetic. It was built on-site (pun intended). It was customised to the weather and was tailored to the moment.

And that is exactly why it worked.

He didn’t shout something random. He used the moment. He saw the situation and built his case around it. Very builder-like, if you ask me. Problem? Mud. Solution? “I will clean you up nice.”

What also made me smile was the imagination. He did not say he would save me from falling. He did not say he would carry me. He simply accepted that life has puddles and if I land in one, he is ready to clean me. How very thoughtful and practical.

There was no pressure after that. No climbing down. No “give me your number.” He just laughed when I laughed and went back to work.

Ten years later, I remember that line clearly.

Sometimes the best pickup lines are not the polished ones. They are the ones that fit the moment so perfectly.

This morning, as I successfully avoided falling into any puddle, I smiled to myself, not  because I needed to be rescued, but because somewhere in Kampala, there is a builder who once believed he could offer cleaning services as romance, and for that brief, muddy second, it absolutely worked.


8 comments:

  1. This is such a beautiful story
    I love that he didn’t chase it. No pressure. No demands. Just a shared laugh and back to work. Confidence without force. That is rare with builders.
    Your story reminded me of something that happened to me on 24th December, 2020. I was on the road, fixing a flat tyre after Masaka. There was ready cooking one of the houses near the road, and as I worked on the tyre, a kind woman came out. She served lunch to her family and then brought me some food too. It was such a simple, unexpected act of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cupid’s arrow was right on target- no escape!!!πŸ˜€πŸ˜˜

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple and Innovative! The Guy's punchline need to be patented.

    We can say he used his Local Area Knowledge!

    Kati wait when a Taxi Conductor, Boda Boda Rider or those Owino Chaps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately you didnt have a phone on you… kodak memorabilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. What makes a good pick up line? Is it the delivery? Originality? Spontaneity? Or just the outright ridiculousness of the thing? I'll never know because I've never been on the receiving end, but I dare say I've landed a few and missed many in this eventful life. One thing that's for sure is builders, taxi conductors and those boda chaps have some serious weapons formed against girls...please tell us in the next blog if any prosperedπŸ˜ƒπŸ€£

    ReplyDelete
  6. For this one.😁😁😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have found that the best pick up lines are the ones that just make you instantly burst out laughing...and suddenly all defences are down, you are more open and alas...they really con you properly! Nothing like humour to break the ice!

    ReplyDelete

How to run an ultramarathon: Wrong answers only.

Tomorrow, I am running 50 kilometres. Naturally, I have prepared. Here is everything I have learned about successfully completing a 50K ultr...