Today was one of those frustratingly unproductive days. This was not because there was nothing to do, in fact my plate was full. But nothing was flowing. I moved from one piece of work to another without really focusing on any of them. Somewhere between rereading the same paragraph and rewriting my to-do list for the third time, I did what most of us do in such moments. I reached for my phone.
What started as "let me check something quickly" became quite the detour. One link led to another, one scroll became many. By the time I looked up, time had moved fast and that is when the old proverb came back to me: idle hands are the devil's workshop. Except my hands were not idle. They were scrolling.
They used to say idle hands are the devil's workshop. That made sense in a time when idleness meant sitting around doing nothing. But today nobody is truly idle. Our hands and minds are busy. We are overstimulated, overconnected and overinformed. The problem is not idleness in the old sense. The devils workshop has evolved. It is now about what I can call "idle attention." Idle attention is about those few minutes before you sleep, the seconds immediately after waking up, the time spent waiting in traffic or in a queue in the bank. Idle attention is the digital devil's workshop.
Like any well-run workshop, this one has departments. They are not labeled on the door, but you will recognise them if you have ever scrolled longer than you intended. I have visited a few of them myself. Each department has its own specialty, tools and its own subtle way of shaping how we feel without us quite noticing. But also, the workshop fits comfortably in our pockets, fully charged, with good network.
The first department is comparison. You open your phone peacefully, but you get off it evaluating your entire life. Someone is engaged. Someone has build rentals. Someone is running marathons in countries whose visas you have only Googled. Someone is glowing in Maldives lighting while you are buying street chicken. You were fine five minutes ago, but now you are wondering if you are behind. Social media led us down the path of comparison. It hands us reels and invites us to measure our ordinary Fridays against someone's carefully curated Saturday. In Uganda, especially where everyone seems to be launching something it is easy to feel like you missed a meeting. The workshop quietly says, "look at them. Now look at you."
The second department is what I want to call paranoia, really for lack of a better name. It is WhatsApp, our national headquarters. He was online but did not reply. She posted a status but ignored your message. The typing bubble appeared and disappeared. Silence now comes with timestamps, and timestamps invite interpretation, and interpretation breeds imagination, and imagination when left unchecked, well... I have seen how quickly blue ticks can manufacture entire stories. This digital workshop thrives especially in relationships. Instead of picking up the phone and asking, we scroll through evidence and construct conclusions. What used to be a simple silence is now a courtroom with exhibits A, B and C - screenshots. The devil not need to whisper much because the interface does most of the work.
The third department is a tricky one. Whereas I have not experienced it personally, a close friend has. I noticed that Ugandans are angry professionally these days. Someone posts an opinion and screenshots fly, voice notes circulate, threads grow long, and so on. Outrage has become a form of entertainment and if we are honest, sometimes it feels good to participate. At least watching my friend, I see a sparkle in his eyes. It gives an energy that makes us feel engaged and involved. But often, we are simply making and consuming noise. We log in calm and log out heated and outraged, even though nothing in our actual lives has changed. The workshop understands that anger is sticky and so it keeps us scrolling and reacting. It makes us feel powerful while quietly draining our peace.
Department four is the most deceptive. Let me call it the "production theatre". You watch motivational videos, financial tips, gym routines, productivity hacks, relationship advice, etc. You feel inspired and also feel like you have done something meaningful. But watching someone else's discipline isn't the same as practicing your own. Scrolling through advice can appear as growth. The workshop loves this department because it feels..... virtuous. You are "working on yourself," whereas you are mostly observing other people working on themselves. It is a very busy kind of idleness.
One last department that I will mention, hang in there with me a little longer, is the doomscrolling before sleep. The night shift is the most dangerous. Because you are tired, you let your guard down, and that is when the algorithm brings up bad news, perfect bodies, perfect marriages, perfect lives, global crisis, Epstein files, in one continuous stream. Everything feels heavier at night. In fact, have you noticed that fear even sounds louder? (That is why you should not whistle at night. Click to read more about this). You promise yourself five minutes and before you realise 50 minutes have passed. By the time you put the phone down, restlessness has grown and your sleep has reduced. The workshop does its best work in the dark because that is where we are softer.
The old proverb warns us about idle hands/minds. But neither quite capture the context of our time. The danger now is idle attention. The real danger is not the phone itself, but what the phone amplifies. It amplifies insecurity, ego, impatience, suspicion, name it. It replaces boredom, whereas there was a time when boredom used to be creative. It replaces silence, whereas we used silence to clarify things in our heads. It replaces difficult conversations, whereas conversations used to build intimacy. The workshop is not evil looking. It is convenient and always open. The workshop does not need emptiness but only needs our attention to wander as we walk in willingly multiple times a day.
From where my feet are, the devil's workshop is not somewhere out there. It is here and is very familiar and severely entertaining. I am not writing as someone who has conquered it, but as someone who recognises the shift within myself after too much scrolling. I remember the internet blackout during elections when Uganda was offline for four days. There were no updates to chase and yet many of us found ourselves reaching for our phones out of habit, only to remember there was no where to go. The internet silence revealed something uncomfortable in that the workshop does not always need content, but sometimes it needs only our attention. Perhaps the workshop does not close permanently. I think it pauses when we choose presence, conversation, creativity, and when we learn to sit with ourselves without immediately reaching for the screen. In a world where WiFi is strong and attention is fragile, guarding our attention maybe one of the best things we can do.
This is such a timely and honest reflection.
ReplyDeleteI had developed the habit of scrolling to update myself before sleeping, not realizing how much it was shaping my thoughts and rest.
The idea of the modern devil’s workshop is brilliant, it perfectly captures the silent struggles many of us face in this digital age
I've never really had a FOMO problem, and neither am I bothered by what the Joneses are up to. But doomscrolling, especially over the last two years? To that I plead guilty. And the algorithm has dutifully played its part in serving up all the very worst of everything from the 3rd Reich to Gaza. But what's the solution? We can't really go on phone fasts and neither will we always be surrounded by human beings with whom we can have meaningful conversations or even fight with. My current hack is to shift my idle attention into things I actually like. It might cost me a few hours of sleep when a 5 minute scroll becomes a 4-hour dig into a certain topic, but I try to convince myself that I learnt something. Its working - for now.
ReplyDeleteThis is real, and I believe I am not the only victim. At the end of the day, my phone (some phones) will do report on the "daily performance". However deeping deeper in the APPs visited - that is where the real problem is found.
ReplyDeleteI for one opted to quit some apps after figuring out that they were not only consuming data but also had started penetrating my thought process and livelihood!
I am glad to say I am in a much better place and working towards getting over the addictions.
That’s so true. The daily screen report shows the hours, but it doesn’t show the impact. And you are right sometimes the real cost is not the data but how those apps slowly start shaping how we think and feel. I am really glad you figured that out and made changes. Many of us are still figuuring things out. Thank you for sharing.
DeleteThe phone, the scrolling, the attention it commands. And how we fall prey of the schemes of this workshop each day promising ourselves to do better the next day or the usual chain bidding , just this one time statement. Its beat to know when to leave the workshop.
ReplyDeleteI also noticed that time spent on my mobile phone is expensive but brings nearly nothing. This is why I enabled limits on apps/websites on my iphone - go to Settings -> Screen Time :) You can start with just a soft limit - once you reach it, you are given a few options - give me one more minute / remind me in 15 minutes / ignore the limit for today. And, of course, you can take it as an opportunity to think whether you really want to spend more time on your current activity. What worked for me better was to set a password that is required to unlock more time. I picked some random password and wrote it into a note. So then when I wanted to continue wasting my time, I had to look the password up, which was often disturbing enough to stop me. Until the point where I remembered the password :-D I also considered letting someone else set the password for me so that I don't know it. But so far, the soft limit seems to work well now.
ReplyDeleteThis is quite a useful tip. I will explore the options available on Andoid. Indeed sometimes we have to handcuff ourselves. Maybe you need to swallow the key to your handcuffs rather than keep it in your pocket.
ReplyDeleteThank you again for sharing this tip.