Thursday, January 29, 2026

How we enter the day

 Morning rituals are underrated. They do a lot of quiet work for us and set us up for the day. In many African contexts, especially in villages, the day starts with something practical. You wake up and you sweep the compound. In every corner of Uganda, mornings are greeted with the same sound of a broom sweeping a yard. Before school, breakfast, anything else, compounds are swept. The sweeping is a ritual. It is not only about cleanliness. It is about order. You put the space right, before you put yourself in the world or before the world comes to you.

Everyone has a version of this. Some people wake up and pray or meditate. Some go for a walk or run. Others stretch. Some scroll (questionable, but still a ritual nonetheless). The point is not what the ritual is. It is more what it does. A ritual grounds you. A morning ritual marks a transition from sleep to being a person with responsibilities. It gives the day a starting point. 

My morning ritual is coffee. I wake up and the first thing I do is make and have a cup of coffee quietly. I think and reflect and check in with myself. This is less about the caffeine and more about orientation. There is a lot of noise out there - work, news, social media, other people's urgencies, misbehaving teenagers, etc and it is very easy to get absorbed into all that and forget yourself. Sitting quietly with a cup of coffee is my way of anchoring to remind myself who I am before I step into everything else. 

Morning rituals do an important psychological work. They create consistency and some sort of sense of control. My ritual keeps me sane. Making and drinking coffee every morning is a small and repeatable act wherein I say to myself this is how I begin my day. Without this morning coffee time, my days seem to blur into each other and I start reacting instead of choosing. 

Fairly recently, I included a friend in my morning ritual of drinking coffee. Sometimes we talk, sometimes we do not. They scroll, read and scroll some more, and I either read or sit with myself in silence. The point is not conversation. It is presence. It is sharing a moment and being connected before the day pulls us in different directions. 

Morning rituals do not have to be loud or sacred for them to matter. Sweeping a compound, running, reading, praying, drinking coffee. These things keep us aligned and help us take ourselves into the day, rather than losing ourselves to it. 

2 comments:

  1. Come to think about it. There’s ritual set you for the rest of the day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. How you begin the day to a large extent influences how you go through it, and end it.

      Delete

31 years a King. 34 years a man.

31 years a king. 34 years a man. Put those two numbers next to each other and something does not add up. 31 years on a throne sounds like a ...